Thursday, June 14, 2007

The 'Zoo

About a month ago, myself and four friends got a chance to go to Kalamzoo to compete in the Kalamazoo Animation Festival International (KAFI) Cartoon Challenge. The challenge is to produce an animated 30 second PSA in only 3 days!!. It was a blast! We didn't take home the prize but we were extremely happy with our end result and more importantly we exceeded our own goal to have fun! We met some great friends and competitors and KAFI took really good care of us. We also ran into our old friends from Pratt that we met out in Ottawa last year and our ACME peers in southern California from Laguna. It was nice to see some familiar faces. Here's just a few pages from that trip.

The sketch on the left was a lot of fun. It was at a place called Bell's Bar where a live band was playing. I decided to do some blind contour of the band and I loved how it came out. I've been trying to work in some blind contour to practice my line quality and really get that genuine feel. The sketch on the right was of the SJSU team before we left. You can see out five faces and the airplane on the bottom (more blind contour).

1 comment:

LampshadeMan said...

Now, normally I don't approve of people making post on my birthday, but since this is about Kalamazoo, I will let it slide. But don't let it happen again. And I don't remember seeing that sketch!